EMMA is Elder Medicaid Management Assistance

We help your family obtain the 5 years’ worth of financial and other documents required for Medicaid eligibility to pay for your elder’s nursing home stay when private funds run out. With our elders living longer, it is not unusual for a family to run out of private funds to pay for nursing home care.  In fact, 65% of long-term nursing home residents use Medicaid to pay for care.  When this happens, families need to file for the NJ Aged, Blind Disabled (ABD) FamilyCare  Program. In the course of preparing the application, a lawyer may be needed. We work with Rothamel & Associates for all legal and spend down issues that arise.

What is Medicaid?

Health insurance and Medicare do not cover long term care so that leaves Medicaid.  In New Jersey, long-term care can easily exceed $16,000/month.    To secure Medicaid eligibility, there is a required 5-year look back to see if and when assets were transferred. If you cannot provide proper documentation that explains why a deposit or withdrawal was made within that 5 year period, it may cause a denial of the application or create a penalty period. Planning early is key to avoiding an application or penalty!

What type of documents are needed for Medicaid requirements for the application?

Bank Statements • Life Insurance Policies • Pension Statements • Marriage Certificate • Divorce Decree • US Military ID • Dividend Checks • Money Market Accounts • Rent Receipts • Telephone Bills • Health Insurance Bills • Renter’s Insurance • Copies of Mortgage Statement • CD’s • Christmas Club  Account • Annuities • Credit Unions Share Accounts • Stocks • Bonds • Copies of Gas/Oil Bills • Birth Certificate • IRA • Burial Plot Information • Lost of Valuables • Prepaid Funeral Contracts • Social Security Checks • Driver’s License • Baptismal Certificate • Passport • Alien Registration Card • Final Adoption • VA Check • Payments from Borders • Federal Income Tax Returns ​and more... 

Emma, LLC will work closely with the applicant's POA to obtain all documents needed to complete requirements for Medicaid application completion.

​Can EMMA, LLC help with other elder needs?

 YES! The Medicaid application process may not be all that an elder needs.  Here are other senior services and resources to which we can provide access:

Estate planning 

Should your elder need and updated Will, Power of Attorney papers and more estate planning documents, as well as Real Estate transactions and deed changes, we refer to the experienced law firm of Rothamel & Associates. 

Finding the right Assisted Living or nursing home
We work with  Linda Coppinger, owner of Senior & Special Needs Solutions, LLC  ( and retired Executive Director of the Alzheimer’s Association Delaware Valley Chapter) to find suitable placement. 

 VA Aid and Assistance
If the spouse of resident in an assisting living community served in the military, the surviving spouse may be eligible to file for Veterans Affairs (VA) A Aid and Assistance to off-set the assisted living expenses, which can cost $8,000 or more per month. EMMA, LLC will refer you to experienced professionals to help you apply for this assistance.​

 Executor needs
In time, the family’s executor may need help to probate the Will and other duties to finalize the estate. EMMA can help the family’s executor with this process.